Heavy black-brown dispersion of bitumen and modifiers reinforced with fibres which dry to a black flexible and water insoluble coating. Bitkote No. 5 contains reinforcing fibres for sealing cracks and is suitable for heavy duty applications.
- Sealing of most timber metal masonry concrete and cement sheeting surfaces against water and moisture entry.
- Rejuvenation of old bituminous roofing.
- As a leveling layer prior to application of sheet and acrylic membranes.
- Repair of cracks in water tanks and other concrete structures.
FEATURES AND BENEFITS
- Bitkote No. 5 is strengthened with heavy duty reinforcing fibres to increase crack bridging performance for longer lasting protection of damaged substrates.
- Cold applied easy to use and easy to clean up in cold water reduces time and equipment required to complete the job.
- When dry Bitkote No. 5 has good resistance to water alcohol animal wastes most dilute salt acid and alkali solutions to last longer in demanding environments.
- Water based odour-free non-flammable and non-toxic. Will not taint water when fully cured thus eliminating possible environmental hazards normally experienced with solventbased products.
- When dry Bitkote No. 5 will not flow under heat or harden at normal temperatures thus providing longer term protection from the Australian climate.
- In thick layers Bitkote No. 5 is an excellent impact absorber reducing sound and vibration e.g. on tin roofs.
- Ensure all surfaces are free of dirt grease dust loose paint and rust. Prepare old timber surfaces by sanding to a smooth surface.
- Prime metal and bituminous roofing surfaces by applying Bitumen Paint at 6 square metres per litre and allow to dry (approx. 4 hours @ 250C).
- Prime masonry F.C. sheeting concrete blockwork and fine cracking areas using Bitkote No. 5 diluted equal parts with water and allow to dry.
- Bitkote No. 5 may be applied by brush or soft broom.
- After the priming stage Bitkote No. 5 should be applied in two coats each of 1m2/0.5L allowing 24 hours drying between coats. In any one wet coat thickness of the film must not exceed 1mm. As a guide use of 1m2/0.5L gives an average wet film build of 0.5mm (which will dry to approximately 0.3-0.35mm thick). To avoid defects in the film the second coat should be brushed on at a 900 angle to the first coat.
- Timber surfaces e.g. fence timbers tank stands and sawn timbers do not need priming but may be protected by the application of at least 2 coats of Bitkote No. 5 at a maximum of 1mm thickness per wet coat. For masonry surfaces containing gaps and cracks prime with Bitkote No. 5 diluted equal parts with water. While this coat is still tacky fill gaps and cracks with Bitkote No. 5. Allow to dry thoroughly before overcoating (approx 48 hours).
- For shower recesses prime the surface using Cement Mix Fortifier. Then apply a coat of Bitkote No 5. Place the fibreglass matting into the wet Bitkote and allow to dry for approximately 4 hours.
- Apply a second coat ensuring that the fibreglass matting is thoroughly covered. Allow to dry for approximately 6-8 hours then apply a third and final coat at a 900 angle to the second coat. Ensure no pinholes or fibreglass strands appear on the surface of the membrane. Allow to dry for 24 hours at 200C before commencing tiling.
- Bitkote No. 5 is not suitable for waterproofing where negative hydrostatic pressure exists.
- The bitumen in Bitkote No. 5 is subject to attack by sunlight (ultra-violet light) and as a consequence for best long term performance these products must be overcoated if used in areas exposed to sunlight. Allow 4 weeks before overcoating. Coatings recommended for protecting Bitkote No. 5 include:
a) Ormonoid Silvershield a solvent based.
b) Or a water based acrylic coating system.
- If using Bitkote No. 5 to waterproof a retaining wall or the like ensure the membrane is covered with fibreboard etc prior to backfilling to prevent piercing of the membrane.
- Bitkote No. 5 cures by loss of moisture so these products can only be used where conditions allow adequate drying.
- Bitkote No. 5 is not classified as a dangerous good. Normal good work practices should apply during use e.g. the wearing of gloves and safety glasses.
- For full MSDS or applications not mentioned please contact your Davco state office.
- Allow Bitkote No. 5 to cure for at least 10 days prior to filling water tanks. Also ensure an initial wash down with water after 10 days prior to filling the tank.
One 20L of Bitcote No. 5 will cover approximately 20m2 when applied at the rate of 1L / m2 (two coats each applied at the rate of 0.5L / m2). This will result in a dry film coating thickness of 600-700 microns (0.6-0.7mm).
While wet clean all equipment in cold water. If material has dried clean using paint stripper.
Bitkote No. 5 is available in 20litre drums.
Up to 12 months in unopened containers stored in a dry cool elevated place.
Appearance: Full bodied black-brown gel
Solids Content: 64% w/w
Reinforcing Fibre Content: 5%
Density: 1.18kg per litre
Curing Time: Approx. 10 days at 200C
The use of this product is beyond the manufacturers control and liability is restricted to the replacement of material proven faulty. The manufacturer is not responsible for any loss or damage arising from incorrect usage. All workmanship must be carried out in accordance with AS 3958.1 – 1991. The information contained herein is to the best of our knowledge true and accurate. No warranty is implied or given as to its completeness or accuracy in describing the performance or suitability of the product for a particular application. Users are asked to check that the literature in their possession is the latest issue.