A general use tile grout able to be used in the vast majority of tiling installations. Suitable for tile joints up to 5mm wide.
CLASSIFICATION / STANDARDS AS4992 CLASSIFICATION CG2
- Smooth appearance
- Uniform colours
- Mould resistant
- Easy to clean
- 1.5 -5mm External & Internal grouting
- Walls and floors
- Internal and external applications
- Maximum joint width of 5mm
- Swimming pools (Use with Megalastic)
- All tiling installations
Grout joints should be clean and dry. The joint should have a minimum depth of 2mm. It may be necessary to remove excess adhesive from the joints. In hot or dry conditions or where tiles are porous joints should be dampened prior to grouting.
Add 250mL potable water into a clean mixing container. Add approximately 1kg of grout powder into the water with continuous mixing until a thick toothpaste consistency is achieved. Let stand for 2 minutes then re-stir before using. Use ASA Megalastic as a total water replacement if improved water resistance or flexibility is required. This would be needed when grouting swimming pools or when the tiling is over flexible substrates (such as fibre cement or timber).
Always add the powder to the water. When mixing large amounts use a drill with suitable mixing paddle designed for the task.
1. Apply the mixed grout with a rubber squeegee. Work well into the joints.
2. Allow the grout to become firm in the joint. Avoid washing off too early as the grout will not have enough strength to resist pulling out of the joint. As an indication grout is ready to wash off only when the grout in the mixing bucket is stiff.
3. Wash off excess grout from the face of the tiles with a damp (not wet) sponge when the grout joint has firmed.
4. Remove grout haze from the face of the tile by polishing off with a soft cloth after the joints are dry. ASA Coloured Grout is only recommended for joints up to 5mm wide. For joints larger than 5mm use ASA Sanded Grout.
5. Clean up can be made easier if a small amount of methylated spirits is added to the wash up water (eg 1 cup into 20 litres water).Take care to ensure that the minimum amount of water is used during clean-up. Excessive washing can cause the grout to be washed out or to become weakened. If in doubt about the best installation or wash up methods contact Bostik before work commences.
All workmanship must be carried out in accordance with AS3958-2007 and good workmanship practices
1kg of grout will cover approximately 2.5m² at 1.5mm joints. Refer to coverage chart for more details. Grout coverage will vary depending on installation conditions and technique. Always allow 10 15% extra to account for wastage.
Clean tools and equipment with warm water and detergent prior to the product drying.
2 hours at 22°C and 50%RH.
Do not add additional water after initial mixing. If product stiffens remix to restore workability. Discard and mix a fresh batch if the material remains stiff after remixing.
24 hours at 22°C and 50%RH
STORAGE & SHELF LIFE
Unopened bags can be stored for up to 12 months in a cool dry and weatherproof environment. Bags must be
stored off the floor
20kg paper bags 5kg and 2kg plastic bags.
Cementitious powder. Various colours
Compressive strength after freeze/thaw:
20kg mixed into 5 L water
Flexural strength after freeze/thaw:
2.0 hours at 22°C and 50% RH
Water absorption after 30 minutes:
Water absorption after 240 minutes:
Classification (as per AS4992.4)
- Only suitable to be used for grout joints up to 5mm.
- Always install expansion and isolation joints appropriate for the job. Do not grout directly against building elements that will expand and contract at different rates (eg wall/floor junctions)
- Ensure existing joints in the substrate are carried through the tiling system.
- This product is not suitable for use as an expansion joint and so will not replace the need for specialised movement joint materials.
- Use the minimum quantity of water when cleaning grout off tiles. Avoid excessive water use as this can wash out the grout or weaken the overall grout strength (by lowering the water to cement ratio).
- Never retemper mixed grout with additional water. If grout stiffens in the bucket remix only. Discard and replace with a fresh batch if paste remains stiff after remixing.
- When grouting porous faced tiles (such as unglazed terracotta) take care to ensure the grout does not absorb into the face of the tile.
- Very porous tiles may cause the grout to dry out prematurely. To limit this dampen the grout joints immediately before grouting ensuring they are damp but not wet. Alternatively seal the edges of the tiles with Megalastic (or similar suitable product). Take care to ensure all excess liquid is removed before grouting.
All workmanship (including movement joints) must be carried out in accordance with AS3958-2007