POWDER MASTIC Tile Adhesive is a white premium grade cement-based adhesive. It is polymer modified to allow it to be used on a larger range of tiles and surfaces. It is non-slump and has extended open time. It is designed to resist shrinkage and has been specifically formulated to provide superior coverage with smoother and easier application.
POWDER MASTIC is classified C1S1TE when tested to AS4992
- Davco POWDER MASTIC is intended for use on walls and floors in interior and exterior applications.
- Davco POWDER MASTIC can be used to fix tiles onto concrete cement renders screeds blockwork rendered brickwork fibre cement sheet plasterboard and suitable waterproofing membranes.
- POWDER MASTIC can be used on correctly installed compressed fibre cement sheet floor systems that have been approved for tiling.
- POWDER MASTIC is suitable for tiling over timber floors provided that a fibre cement sheet tile underlay is first installed.
- Davco POWDER MASTIC is recommended for the fixing of all types of ceramic mosaic vitrified porcelain terracotta slate quarry granite and marble tiles (with the exception of green marbles). It well suited for use with light coloured stone.
- All surfaces must be structurally sound dry clean and free from movement oil grease wax curing compounds and any other loose or contaminating materials.
- Painted surfaces must be scabbled/abraded to expose at least 80% of the original substrate.
- Newly rendered/screeded surfaces must be allowed to cure for at least 7 days and have a wood float finish.
- All building boards must be firmly fixed according to the manufacturers instructions and the relevant Australian Standard(s)
- Old rendered/screeded surfaces must be thoroughly cleaned prior to tiling and have a wood float finish.
- New concrete must be allowed to cure for 6 weeks and should have a wood float finish.
- Steel trowel finished concrete must be acid etched or mechanically abraded prior to tiling.
- Old concrete surfaces must be thoroughly cleaned prior to tiling.
- Make sure all release agents are removed from concrete surfaces especially on tilt-up slabs.
- Porous/dusty surfaces (including fibre cement and other building boards) must initially be primed using Davco Ultraprime.
- Certain non-absorbent/contaminated surfaces can easily be prepared for tiling via the use of Davco Ultrabond.
Movement joints should be provided as follows:
- Over movement joints in the background.
- At a junction between different background materials.
- At fixtures interrupting the tile surface e.g. columns.
- At internal vertical corners.
- Around the perimeter of the tiling system.
- At a maximum of 5 metre intervals in a grid pattern.
Note: Movement joints should go right through the tile adhesive bed to the background and be kept free from dirt and adhesive droppings. Movement joints must not be less than 6mm nor greater than 10mm wide. All movement joints that are 6mm wide can be filled with Davco Sanitized® Colorcaulk. For wider applications use Davco Davsil or polysulphide and polyurethane type fillers.
- The mixing ratio is 20kg of Davco POWDER MASTIC to approximately 6 litres of clean water.
- Place the mixing water in the bucket and add Davco POWDER MASTIC powder to the water mixing until it has a thick and creamy consistency.
- Allow to stand for 5 minutes and remix briefly before using.
- Always make sure it is fully mixed (no lumps) before using.
- Mix mechanically with a drill and paddle. Do not mix by hand.
Tile — Trowel
Wall tiles up to 150mm x 150mm.: 6mm
Wall/Floor tiles larger than 150x150mm: 10mm or 12mm
Large tiles 400×400 or larger: 12mm
Mosaic tiles: 6mm
- Coat the back of tiles with lugs or grooves or larger tiles with adhesive before placing. This is required to ensure adequate adhesive coverage and a better bond.
- Make sure the adhesive does not skin before bedding the tile.
- If the surface is properly primed up to 2m2 of adhesive may be spread at any one time.
- Press tiles firmly into position and make sure that all the tiles are well bedded with no voids in the adhesive.
- Occasionally lift a tile after placing to check that the coverage is adequate.
- After laying do not disturb or allow traffic on the tiles for at least 24 hours (at 20oC).
- Grouting can be carried out 24 hours after the tiling.
- Suitable Grouts
Joint Width — Grout
1 6 mm: Sanitized® Colorgrout
6 12 mm: Slate & Quarry Grout
1 -3 mm: Sanitized® Porcelain Grout
- Refer to the Davco Adhesive and Grout Selection Guide for further information.
- Davco Grout Additive may be used to increase grout flexibility and water resistance. It should always be used when grouting over fibre cement sheeted floors to reduce cracking or powdering.
- Wait 24 hours after grouting before putting the area into service.
- Do not apply Davco POWDER MASTIC in temperatures above 400C or below 50C.
- Back buttering to achieve 100% coverage is recommended for light coloured or translucent tiles/stone to help ensure colour consistency.
- Do not allow the adhesive to skin prior to laying the tiles. If the adhesive skins remove and dispose of it then re-apply fresh adhesive.
- For other uses or the use of Davco POWDER MASTIC in situations not mentioned in these instructions contact your ParexDavco (Australia) Pty Ltd state office.
- Being cement based Davco POWDER MASTIC is alkali in nature which can cause dermatitis. It is recommended that applicators wear PVC or similar gloves and safety goggles.
- For a full MSDS on this product contact your ParexDavco (Australia) Pty Ltd state office.
A 20kg bag of POWDER MASTIC Covers approximately:
10m2 using a 6mm x 6mm-notched trowel.
7m2 using a 10mm x 10mm-notched trowel.
5m2 using a 12mm x 12mm-notched trowel.
- Avoid letting excessive adhesive dry as it easiest to remove when it is fresh.
- Remove wet product with a damp cloth.
- Clean tools and equipment with water.
- If allowed to dry it will need to be removed mechanically or using a suitable acid based product.
In some cases these methods can affect the tile and should be avoided whenever possible.
Up to 12 Months when stored unopened in elevated cool and dry conditions.
Appearance: White Powder
Bulk Density: ~1.5 kg/L
Open Time at 200C (primed surface): 30 minutes
Adjustment Time at 20oC: ~25 minutes
Pot Life at 20oC: >2 Hours
Curing Time at 200C: 24 hours
The use of this product is beyond the manufacturers control and liability is restricted to the replacement of material proven faulty. The manufacturer is not responsible for any loss or damage arising from incorrect usage. All workmanship must be carried out in accordance with AS 3958.1 – 2007.
The information contained herein is to the best of our knowledge true and accurate. No warranty is implied or given as to its completeness or accuracy in describing the performance or suitability of the product for a particular application. Users are asked to check that the literature in their possession is the latest issue.